Associate Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology (WIN), University of Waterloo
Ph.D, Princeton University, November, 2003 Adviser: Professor Stephen Y. Chou Nanostructure Laboratory, Department of Electrical Engineering Dissertation: quantized magnetic disks and laser-assisted ultrafast nanofabrication.
Master of Arts, Princeton University (2/1998 -7/2000) Adviser: Professor Stephen Y. Chou Thesis: fabrication of large area patterned magnetic media by nanoimprint lithography and electroplating.
Graduate Study, University of Minnesota (11/1996 – 2/1998) Nanostructure Laboratory, Department of Electrical Engineering
Graduate Study, Peking University, China (8/1994 – 10/1996) Adviser: Professor Yingchang Yang Department of Physics, minor area Condensed Matter Physics
Bachelor of Arts, Peking University (9/1989 –6/1994) Department of Physics Thesis: thin film characterization by optical methods.
Nano/micro-structure and device fabrication and characterization, with 16 years cleanroom research experience.
Nanoimprint lithography (NIL), electron-beam lithography, photolithography; reactive ion etching, focused ion beam etching/patterning, ion beam etching, chemical mechanical polishing; sputtering, vacuum evaporation, electro- and electroless plating, PECVD & LPCVD; SEM, AFM, MFM, VSM, X-ray scattering, semiconductor and magnetic device characterization, Raman spectroscopy.
Languages: English (fluent), French (fluent), Chinese (native), Spanish (basic) Professional Experience:
7/2015 – present, associate professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Waterloo Institute of Nanotechnology, University of Waterloo.
11/2008 – 6/2015, assistant professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and Waterloo Institute of Nanotechnology, University of Waterloo.
9/2003 10/2008, staff scientist, Industrial Materials Institute, National Research Council of Canada, Boucherville, Québec.
2/1998 – 8/2003: Research Assistant, Nanostructure Laboratory, Department of Electrical Engineering, Princeton University.
11/1996-2/1998: Research Assistant, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Minnesota.
Teaching: (NE – Nanotechnology Engineering undergraduate program)
• NE 343: Microfabrication and thin film technology • • NE 353: Nano-probing and lithography • • ECE 635: Fabrication in the nanoscale: principles, technology and applications • • ECE 433: Semiconductor device technology • • ECE 631: Microelectronic processing technology
Publication: (Cui’s student/postdoc in boldface)
(PDF can be downloaded from https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~bcui/Publications.html)
1. Yang R, Lee CH, Cui B, and Sazonov A, “Flexible semi-transparent a-Si:H pin solar cells for functional energy-harvesting applications”, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, under review. 2. 3. Zhang X, Lin G, Peng L, Zhao B, Cui B, “SERS as a Probe of Charge-Transfer Process in Coupled Semiconductor Nanoparticle System TiO2/MBA/PbS”, RSC Advances (under review). 4. Aydinoglu F, Yamada H, Dey RK, and Cui B, “Grafted polystyrene monolayer brush as both negative and positive tone electron beam resist”, Langmuir, 33, 4981–4985 (2017).
5. Dey RK, Aydinoglu F, and Cui B, “Electron beam lithography on irregular surface using grafted PMMA monolayer as resist”, Advanced Materials Interfaces, 4, 1600780 (2017).
6. Ayari-Kanoun A, Aydinoglu F, Saffih F, and Cui B, “Silicon nanostructures with very large negatively tapered profile by ICP-RIE”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 34, 06KD01 (2016).
7. Sun X, Feng K, Chen Z, and Cui B, “Electrochemical Studies of Carbon Nanotube-LiFePO4 Nanocomposite Cathode for High-Capacity Lithium-Ion Batteries", ECS Transactions, 73 (1) 129-135 (2016).
8. Rezeq M, Eledlebi K, Ismail M, Dey RK, and Cui B, “Theoretical and experimental investigations of nano-Schottky contacts”, J. Appl. Phys., 120, 044302 (2016).
9. Irannejad M, Cui B, and Yavuz M, “Optical properties and liquid sensitivity of Au-SiO2-Au nanobelt structure”, Plasmonics, 11, 1-9 (2016).
10. Sun X, Sun K, and Cui Bo, “STEM-HAADF Imaging Study of Spinel Cubic Li4Ti5O12 Nanocrystals”, Microscopy and Microanalysis, 21, 327-328 (2015).
11. Zhang J, Cao K, Wang X, and Cui B, “Metal-carbonyl organometallic polymers, PFpP, as resists for high-resolution positive and negative electron beam lithography”, Chemical Communications, 51, 17592-17595 (2015).
12. Con C, Aydinoglu A, and Cui B, “High resolution nanofabrication using self-assembly of metal salt-polymer nanocomposite film”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 33, 06F304 (2015).
13. Viscomi FN, Dey RK, Caputo R, and Cui B, “Enhanced adhesion of electron beam resist by grafted monolayer poly(methylmethacrylate-co-methacrylic acid) brush”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 33, 06FD06 (2015).
14. Jiang K, He C, Liu XP, Lu MH, Cui B, and Chen YF, “Circular-polarization-dependent mode hybridization and slow light in vertically coupled planar chiral and achiral plasmonic nanostructures”, Journal of the Optical Society of America B, 32, 2088 (2015).
15. Irannejad M, Cui B and Yavuz M, “The effects of varying dielectric spacer height on the reflection resonance spectrum of gold nanorod-on-mirror grating structure”, Plasmonics, 10, 901-909 (2015).
16. Irannejad M, Alyalak W, Burzhuev S, Brzezinski A, Yavuz M, and Cui B, “Engineering of bi-/mono-layer graphene film using reactive ion etching”, Transactions on Electrical and Electronic Materials, 16, 169-172 (2015).
17. Zhang J, Irannejad M and Cui B, “Bowtie nanoantenna with single-digit nanometer gap for surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS)”, Plasmonics, 10, 831-837 (2015).
18. Dai M, Wan W, Zhu X, Song B, Liu X, Lu M, Cui B, and Chen Y, “Broadband and wide angle infrared wire-grid polarizer”, Optics Express, 23, 15390-97 (2015).
19. Zhang J, Irannejad M, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Gold nanohole array with sub-1 nm roughness by annealing for sensitivity enhancement of extraordinary optical transmission biosensor”, Nanoscale Research Letters, 10, 238 (2015).
20. Sun X, Radovanovic PV, and Cui B, “Advances in spinel Li4Ti5O12 anode materials for lithium-ion batteries”, New Journal of Chemistry, 39, 38-63 (2015). (review article)
21. Sun X, Zhang Y, Gu L, Hu L, Feng K, Chen Z and Cui B, “Nanocomposite of TiO2 nanoparticles-reduced graphene oxide with high-rate performance for Li-ion battery”, ECS Transactions, 64, 11-17 (2015).
22. Yavuz M, Irannejad M, Alici K, Rahman EA, Brzezinski A, and Cui B, “Graphene based nano electromechanical interconnects to enable ultrafast electronics”, Austin Journal of Nanomedicine & Nanotechnology, 2, 1033 (2014).
23. Abbas AS, Alqarni S, Shokouhi BB, Yavuz M, and Cui B, “Water soluble and metal-containing electron beam resist poly(sodium 4-styrenesulfonate)”, Mater. Res. Express, 1, 045102 (2014).
24. Saffih F, Con C, Alshammari A, Yavuz M, and Cui B, “Fabrication of silicon nanostructures with large taper angle by reactive ion etching”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 32, 06FI04 (2014).
25. Dey RK and Cui B, “Lift-off with solvent for negative resist using low energy electron beam exposure”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 32, 06F507 (2014).
26. Wan W, Lin L, Xu Y, Guo X, Liu X, Ge H, Lu M, Cui B, and Chen Y, “Planar self-aligned imprint lithography for coplanar plasmonic nanostructures fabrication”, Applied Physics A, 116, 657–662 (2014).
27. Zhang J, Con C and Cui B, “Electron beam lithography on irregular surfaces with evaporated resist”, ACS Nano, 8, 3483–3489 (2014).
28. Irannejad M, Zhang J, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Numerical study of optical behavior of nano-hole array with non-vertical sidewall profile”, Plasmonics, 9, 537–544 (2014).
29. Bai X, Wen D, Con C, Zhang J, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Research on Fabrication and Electronic Characteristics of Dual-Extended Nano Structure Memristor”, Key Engineering Materials, 609-610, 728-733 (2014).
30. Dey RK and Cui B, “Electron beam lithography with in-situ feedback using self-developing resist”, Nanoscale Research Letters, 9, 184 (2014).
31. Con C, Zhang J and Cui B, “Nanofabrication of high aspect ratio structures using evaporated resist containing metal”, Nanotechnology, 25, 175301 (2014).
32. Alhazmi M, Aydinoglu F, Cui B, Ramahi OM, Irannejad M, Brzezinski A, and Yavuz M, “Comparison of the Effects of Varying of Metal Electrode in Metal-insulator-metal Diodes with Multi-Dielectric Layers”, Austin Journal of Nanomedicine & Nanotechnology, 2(2), 4 (2014).
33. Aydinoglu F, Alhazmi M, Cui B, Ramahi OM, Irannejad M, Brzezinski A, and Yavuz M, “Higher Performance Metal-Insulator-Metal Diodes using Multiple Insulator Layers”, Austin Journal of Nanomedicine & Nanotechnology, 1(1), 3 (2014).
34. Sun X, Hegde M, Wang J, Zhang Y, Liao JY, Radovanovic PV, and Cui B, “Structural analysis and electrochemical studies of carbon coated Li4Ti5O12 Particles used as anode for lithium ion battery”, ECS Transactions, 58, 79-88 (2014).
35. Sun X, Wang YQ, Hegde M, Shu J, Bai XD, Zhang YF, Radovanovic PV, and Cui B “Structure and electrochemical properties of spinel Li4Ti5O12 nanocomposites as anode for lithium-ion battery”, International Journal Electrochemical Science, 9, 1583-1596 (2014).
36. Abbas AS, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Polycarbonate electron beam resist using solvent developer”, Microelectron. Eng., 113, 140-142 (2014).
37. Dey RK and Cui B, “Stitching error reduction in electron beam lithography with in-situ feedback using self-developing resist”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 31 (6), 06F409 (2013).
38. Irannejad M, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Finite difference time domain study of light transmission through multihole nanostructures in metallic film”, Photonics Research, 1(4), 154-159 (2013).
39. Sun X, Sun K, Wang Y, Bai X and Cui B, “Scale-up synthesis, structure characterization and electrochemical characteristics of C-LiFePO4 nanocomposites for lithium ion rechargeable batteries”, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 8, 12816-12836 (2013).
40. Con C, Abbas AS, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Dry thermal development of negative electron beam resist polystyrene”, Advances in Nano Research, 1, 105-109 (2013).
41. Con C and Cui B, “Effect of mold treatment by solvent on PDMS molding into nanoholes”, Nanoscale Research Letters, 8, 394 (2013).
42. Chen JY, Con C, Yu MH, Cui B and Sun KW, “Efficiency enhancement of PEDOT:PSS/Si hybrid solar cells by using nanostructured radial junction and antireflective surface”, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces, 5 (15), 7552–7558 (2013).
43. Liu R, Zhang F, Con C, Cui B and Sun B, “Lithography-free fabrication of silicon nanowire and nanohole arrays by metal-assisted chemical etching”, Nanoscale Research Letters, 8, 155 (2013).
44. Dey RK and Cui B, “Effect of molecular weight distribution on e-beam exposure properties of polystyrene”, Nanotechnol., 24, 245302 (2013).
45. Irannejad M and Cui B, “Effects of refractive index variations on the optical transmittance spectral properties of the nano-hole arrays”, Plasmonics, 8, 1245-1251 (2013).
46. Sun X, Sun K, Chen C, Sun H and Cui B, “Controlled Preparation and Surface Structure Characterization of Carbon-Coated Lithium Iron Phosphate and Electrochemical Studies as Cathode Materials for Lithium Ion Battery”, International Journal of Materials and Chemistry, 2(5), 218-224 (2012).
47. Zhang J, Shokouhi B and Cui B, “Tilted nanostructure fabrication by electron beam lithography”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 30(6), 06F302 (2012).
48. Liu W, Ferguson M, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Porous TEM windows fabrication using CsCl self-assembly”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B, 30(6), 06F201 (2012).
49. Xuan Y, Guo X, Cui Y, Yuan C, Ge H, Cui B and Chen Y, “Crack-free controlled wrinkling of a bilayer film with a gradient interface”, Soft Matter, 8, 9603-9609 (2012).
50. Con C, Dey R, Ferguson M, Zhang J, Mansour R, Yavuz M and Cui B, “High molecular weight polystyrene as very sensitive electron beam resist”, Microelectronic Engineering, 98, 254-257(2012).
51. Con C, Zhang J, Jahed Z, Tsui TY, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Thermal nanoimprint lithography using fluoropolymer mold”, Microelectronic Engineering, 98, 246-249 (2012).
52. Shokouhi B, Zhang J and Cui B, “Very high sensitivity ZEP resist using MEK:MIBK developer”, Micro & Nano Lett. 6(12), 992–994 (2011).
53. Ma S, Con C, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Polystyrene Negative Resist for High Resolution Electron Beam Lithography”, Nanoscale Research Letters, 6, 446 (2011).
54. Zhang J, Fouad M, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Charging effect reduction in electron beam lithography with nA beam current”, Microelectronic Engineering, 88(8), 2196-2199 (2011).
55. Zhang J, Cui B and Ge H, “Fabrication of flexible mold for hybrid nanoimprint-soft lithography”, Microelectronic Engineering, 88(8), 2192-2195 (2011).
56. Fouad M, Yavuz M and Cui B, “Nanofluidic channels fabricated by e-beam lithography and polymer reflow sealing”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 28, C6I11 (2010).
57. Cui B, Clime L and Veres T, “Fabrication of nanostar array by nanoimprint lithography”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 28, C6O26 (2010).
58. Rahman SMS and Cui B, “Mold Fabrication for 3D Dual Damascene Imprinting”, Nanoscale Research Letters, 5, 545–549 (2010).
59. Cui B, Keimel C and Chou SY, “Ultrafast Direct Imprint of Nanostructures in Metals by Pulsed Laser Melting”, Nanotechnol. 21, 045303 (2010).
60. Malic L, Cui B, Veres T and Tabrizian M, “Nanoimprinted plastic substrates for enhanced surface plasmon resonance imaging detection”, Optics Express, 17(22), 20386-92 (2009).
61. Geissler M, Li K, Cui B, Clime L and Veres T, “Plastic substrates for surface-enhanced Raman scattering”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 113(40), 17296–17300 (2009).
62. Li Z, Gu Y, Wang L, Ge H, Wu W, Xia Q, Yuan C, Chen Y, Cui B and Williams RS “Hybrid Nanoimprint−Soft Lithography with Sub-15 nm Resolution”, Nano Lett., 9 (6), 2306–2310 (2009).
63. Heidi Au HT, Cui B, Chu ZE, Veres T and Radisic M, “Cell culture chips for simultaneous application of topographical and electrical cues enhance phenotype of cardiomyocytes”, Lab Chip, 9, 564–575 (2009).
64. Guillemette MD, Cui B, Roy E, Gauvin R, Giasson CJ, Esch MB, Carrier P, Deschambeault A, Dumoulin M, Toner M, Germain L, Veres T and Auger FA, “Surface topography induces 3D self-orientation of cells and extracellular matrix resulting in improved tissue function”, Integrated Biology, 1, 196–204 (2009).
65. Hajiaboli A, Cui B, Kahrizi M and Truong VV, “Optical properties of thick metal nanohole arrays fabricated by electron beam and nanosphere lithography”, Physica Status Solidi A-Applications and Materials Science, 206(5), 976-979 (2009).
66. Cui B, Wu L and Chou SY, “Fabrication of high aspect ratio metal nano-tips by nanosecond pulse laser melting”, Nanotechnol. 19, 345303 (2008).
67. Li K, Clime L, Tay L, Cui B, Geissler M and Veres T, “Multiple Surface Plasmon Resonances and Near-Infrared Field Enhancement of Gold Nanowells”, Analytical Chemistry, 80(13), 4945-4950 (2008).
68. Cui B and Veres T, “High resolution electron beam lithography of PMGI using solvent developer”, Microelectron. Eng. 85, 810-813 (2008).
69. Cui B, Clime L, Li K and Veres T, “Fabrication of large area nanoprism array and its application for surface enhanced Raman spectroscopy (SERS)”, Nanotechnol. 19, 145302 (2008).
70. Li K, Clime L, Cui B and Veres T, “Surface Enhanced Raman Scattering on Long-range Ordered Noble-metal Nanocrescent Arrays”, Nanotechnol. 14, 145305 (2008).
71. Malic L, Cui B, Veres T and Tabrizian M, “Enhanced surface plasmon resonance imaging detection of DNA hybridization on periodic gold nanoposts”, Opt. Lett. 32, 3092-3094 (2007).
72. Alvarez-Puebla R, Bravo-Vasquez JP, Cui B, Veres T and Fenniri H, “ SERS Classification of Highly Related Performance Enhancers”, ChemMedChem, 2(8), 1165-1167 (2007).
73. Cui B and Veres T, “Fabrication of metal nanoring array by nanoimprint lithography (NIL) and reactive ion etching”, Microelectron. Eng., 84, 1544–47 (2007).
74. Alvarez-Puebla R, Cui B, Bravo-Vasquez JP, Veres T and Fenniri H, “Nanoimprinted SERS-active substrates with tunable surface plasmon resonances”, J. Phys. Chem. C, 111, 6720-23 (2007).
75. Cui B, Yu ZN, Ge, HX and Chou SY, “Large area 50 nm period grating by multiple nanoimprint lithography and spatial frequency doubling”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 90, 043118 (2007).
76. Le Drogoff B, Cui B and Veres T, “Fast 3D Nanostructure Fabrication by Laser-Assisted nano-Transfer Printing”, Appl. Phys. Lett., 89, 113103 (2006).
77. Cui B and Veres T, “Pattern replication of 100 nm to millimeter-scale features by thermal nanoimprint lithography”, Microelectron. Eng., 83, 902-905 (2006).
78. Cui B and Veres T, “Polyimide nanostructures fabricated by nanoimprint lithography and its application as flexible imprint mould”, Microelectron. Eng., 83, 906-909 (2006).
79. Cui B, Wu W, Keimel C and Chou SY, “Filling of Via Holes by Laser-Assisted Direct Imprint (LADI)”, Microelectron. Eng., 83 (4-9), 1547-1550 (2006).
80. Beauvais J, Lavallee E, Zanzal A, Drouin D, Lau KM, Veres T and Cui B, “Fabrication of a 3D nano-imprint template with a conformal dry vapor deposited electron beam resist”, Proceedings of SPIE, 5751, 392-399 (2005).
81. Feng J, Cui B, Zhan Y, and Chou SY, “Flexible metal film with micro- and nanopatterns transferred by electrochemical deposition”, Electrochem. Commun., 4, 102-104 (2002).
82. Kong L, Pan Q, Cui B, Li M, and Chou SY, “Magneto-transport and domain structures in nano-scale NiFe/Cu/Co spin valve”, J. Appl. Phys. 85 (8): 5492-5494 (1999).
83. Cui B, Wu W, Kong LS, Sun XY, Chou SY, “Perpendicular quantized Magnetic disks with 45 Gbits on a 4x4 cm2 area”, J. Appl. Phys. 85 (8): 5534-5536 (1999).
84. Chou SY, Kong LS, Wu W, Cui B, “Fabrication, reading and writing of quantized magnetic disks with 65 Gbit/in2 perpendicular storage density and 30 Gbit/in2 longitudinal storage density”, Electrochemical Society Series, 98(20), 253-254 (1999).
85. Kong L, Zhuang L, Li M, Cui B, Chou SY, “Fabrication, writing, and reading of 10 Gbits/in(2) longitudinal quantized magnetic disks with a switching field over 1000 Oe”, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. Part 1, 37 (11): 5973-5975 (1998).
86. Wu W, Cui B, Sun XY, Zhang W, Zhuang L, Kong LS, Chou SY, “Large area high density quantized magnetic disks fabricated using nanoimprint lithography”, J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 16 (6): 3825-3829 (1998).
87. Mao W, Yang J, Cui B, Cheng B, Yang Y, Du H, Zhang B, Ye C, and Yang J, “A study on the effect of hydrogen in the compounds with ThMn12-type structure”, J. Phys. - Condensed Matter, 10 (12): 2611-2616 (1998).
88. Yang J, Cui B, Mao W, Yang Y, Chen D, Yang Y, and Gou C, “A linear muffin-tin orbital calculation of local electronic and magnetic properties of YFe10Mo2 and YFe10Mo2N”, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn., 67 (2): 576-582 (1998).
89. Yang J, Cui B, Mao W, Cheng B, Yang Y, Ge S, “Hard magnetic properties of NdFe10.5V1.5Nx powders with high performance”, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 182, 131-136 (1998).
90. Yang J, Cui B, Mao W, Cheng B, Yang J, Hu B, Yang Y, Ge S, “Effect of interstitial nitrogen on the structural and magnetic properties of NdFe10.5V1.5Nx”, J. Appl. Phys., 83 (5): 2700-2704 (1998).
91. Yang J, Cui B, Cheng B, Mao W, Yang Y, Ge S, “Preparation of NdFe10.5V1.5Nx powders with potential as high-performance permanent magnets”, J. Phys D: Appl. Phys., 31 (3): 282-286 (1998) 92. 93. Yang J, Cui B, Mao W, Pei X, Yang Y, “Theoretical calculation on the magnetocrystalline anisotropy of NdFe10.5V1.5Nx”, Solid State Commun., 104 (10): 615-618 (1997).
Books and book chapters: 1. Sun X and CuiB, “Nano-sized carbon-coated Li4Ti5O12 particles with enhanced high-rate performance as anode for lithium-ion battery”, chapter in Advances in Chemistry Research, Volume 24, Nova Science Publishers, Editor James C. Taylor, 2015.
2. Cui B (editor), Recent Advances in Nanofabrication Techniques and Applications, Intech, 2011.
3. Cui B, “Ultrafast fabrication of metal nanostructures using pulsed laser melting”, chapter in Recent Advances in Nanofabrication Techniques and Applications, Intech, 2011.
4. Li K, Morton K, Veres T and Cui B (corresponding author), “Nanoimprint lithography and its application in tissue engineering and bio-sensing”, chapter in Comprehensive Biotechnology, 2nd edition, Elsevier, 2011.